25 September 2016

project monochrome: white

White Monochrome Minifigure
White Monochrome Minifigure

One of the purposes of the monochrome in art is to reduce it to its simplest form so that the focus of the piece would be on its pure physical elements. Applying that concept to LEGO, peeling away all the paint, leaving only the base color, one can achieve a minimal art in brick form...

That's one way to see it. Another is to simply say that I have always been a fan of monochrome minifigures, which are so cool and calming to look at. For the longest time, I thought this would be a difficult project but I have read somewhere that it's so easy if you start with the basics. That's why for my first monochrome minifigure, I decided to begin with the color white.

White Monochrome Minifigure: Sailor
White Monochrome Minifigure: Sailor

White pieces are very easy to obtain. I got all the white minifigure pieces from my local LEGO Shop's Build-a-Mini. Unfortunately, there was no plain torso available so I just chose the one with the least printing. The doctor's torso with a pocket and a stethoscope fits the description perfectly. I removed the paint using a cotton swab and a rag cloth with Brasso metal polish. With just a few rubs, all the paint is gone. I tried to do it as lightly as possible to avoid scratches or dullness. There were some reports of such results if the process was done aggressively. Luckily, I managed to produce a clean outcome on my first try.

Brasso
Brasso

With my Project Monochrome, I feel like I have added depth to my LEGO collection. The hunt is on to find single-colored pieces...



No comments:

Post a Comment